Required Visa Documents

The First Set of Visa Documents (send to the Korean school)

Please send all the documents below to the school you have signed a contract with. It would take about 1 to 2 weeks to get your visa number from your school.

1. One university degree/diploma with an Apostille attached. You don’t have to Apostille your original diploma. Here are steps you need to take to get your diploma Apostilled.

First, you must get your diploma notarized first. Many applicants order a duplicate diploma because they don’t want to ruin their original diploma with notarization and Apostille attachment. You may go to a notary public or a bank to get it notarized. Some universities may provide the notary public services. Notary public services are available at most St. Paul Public Library locations.

Second, after getting your diploma notarized, you will need to go to the MN Secretary of State in St. Paul to get it Apostilled. You will have to submit your original diploma alongside your notarized one. The address of the office is Certification, 60 Empire Drive, Suite 100, St. Paul, MN 55103.

IMPORTANT: You must NOT remove or damage the Apostille certificate from your notarized diploma. Korean Immigration Office won’t accept it if they know it’s been detached at any point.

NOTE: If you’ve received your diploma from a different state, you may not be able to Apostille the document in your home state. For example, a University of Minnesota diploma cannot be Apostilled at the Office of Secretary of State in Wisconsin. You should Apostille it at the Minnesota Secretary of State Office in St. Paul.

If you are graduating soon or have just graduated and want to go to Korea as soon as possible, you need to go to the office of the Registrar to 1) get a copy of graduation certificate, and 2) get it notarized, and then 3) attach Apostille to it at the Minnesota Secretary of State – Certification, 60 Empire Drive, Suite 100, St. Paul, MN 55103 ( Your graduation certificate must have a past tense date stating that you have already graduated on a certain date.

2. Five passport photos (3.5cm x 4.5cm in size and in full color with a pure white background). You will need one more passport photo for the second set of visa documents.

3. One color photocopy of your passport’s personal data pages (pages with photo & signature)

4. Two copies of your signed contract

5. Updated resume

6. A completed Applicant’s Health Statement (Go to Document Downloads.)

Once teachers arrive in Korea, they will have a medical check at a designated hospital by the Korean Immigration Office. This medical check includes a blood and urine sample testing for HIV, opiates, marijuana and other drugs. If teachers fail the drug test, they will have their visa cancelled and their contract nullified. They will be responsible for paying back for their airfare and paying for their accommodations until they leave Korea.

7. One FBI criminal record check with Apostille

Please refer to a file “INSTRUCTIONS – Expedited FBI check application” and a file “INSTRUCTIONS – Expedited Apostille service”.

As it takes up to 12-14 weeks to receive your FBI check through a regular process, we strongly recommend applicants to apply for their FBI check through an expedited process. Please speak with ESL Job Link coordinator before sending in FBI check application.

IMPORTANT: You must NOT remove or damage the Apostille certificate from your FBI check. Korean Immigration Office won’t accept it if they know it’s been detached at any point.

8. Completed Visa Issuance Request Form. Please refer to a sample Visa Issuance Request Form that ESL Job Link will send you along with other information files.


Do not use US Postal Service when you send your documents to Korea. Its express mail can’t be tracked down in Korea. There were several cases that teachers had lost their documents in Korea and had to redo their paperwork from the beginning. Thus, please go to a Fedex or DHL office and use Fedex International Express mail or DHL service. Please send us your tracking number.

– All the documents must be less than 6 months old. Please keep in mind that your FBI check is ONLY VALID as long as it is issued within 6 months of your visa application date.

– Your passport must not expire within 18 months.

– If the name on your diploma and FBI check doesn’t match the name that appears on your passport, then you will need to provide an official explanation that’s been notarized.

– Korean Immigration office does not return your documents once they’ve been submitted.


The Second Set of Visa Documents (send to the Korean Consulate)

After you receive your visa number via email or text from ESL Job Link, please send the second set of visa documents to the Korean Consulate by Overnight Express mail. You will get your passport and visa back in about 10 business days.

1. Visa-processing fee of $45 – Money order only (Pay to Korean Consulate General). Cash accepted in person.

2. Valid passport

3. One photocopy of your passport’s personal data page (the page with your photo)

4. Completed Visa Application Form with Visa Issuance Number (Go to Document Downloads.)

5. One passport photo (3.5cm x 4.5cm in full color) attached to the Visa Application Form

6. Enclose pre-paid and self-addressed FedEx Priority or Overnight Express envelope for faster and safer return of your passport by mail. Your E-2 visa will be on a separate page in your passport.

** For a FedEx envelope, you should make your own FedEx account online. Don’t pay for it with your credit card. Please refer to a file “How to set up a FedEx account online” we will send you.

NOTE: Please let us know if you don’t live in Minnesota now or plan to move to another state in the near future. You may send your documents to another Korean consulate.

*The following is the address of the Korean Consulate General in Chicago.

Korean Consulate General
(Visa Department)
NBC Tower Suite 2700
455 North Cityfront Plaza Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60611

Phone: (312) 822-9485
Fax: (312) 822-0413

Jurisdiction: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin